Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Lake Charles, LA
A Lake Charles, LA pedestrian accident lawyer knows that pedestrian accidents are one of the most serious types of traffic accidents that can occur. While any traffic accident can result in serious injury or death, pedestrians are extremely vulnerable to severe injury because there is nothing between them and the 4,000-pound vehicle that slams into them. If you have been hit by a car and suffered injuries, the legal team at Delphin Law Offices PLC can help you get the financial compensation you may be entitled to.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents can occur due to a number of reasons. The following are some of the most frequent factors that result in individuals suffering serious to fatal injuries in pedestrian accidents:
- The vehicle driver failed to yield the right of way to the pedestrian in the crosswalk.
- The vehicle driver didn’t see the pedestrian because they were engaged in a distracted driving activity, like looking at a text message or setting their GPS.
- The vehicle driver was speeding.
- The vehicle driver ran a red light or stop sign.
- The vehicle driver was operating while under the influence.
- The driver was operating while fatigued.
Your Lake Charles pedestrian accident lawyer will investigate your accident to determine what factors were in play when the driver hit you.
Damages for Injuries
Under Louisiana law, a victim is able to pursue legal action against an at-fault driver to obtain financial compensation for the losses their injuries have caused them. In most accidents, the victim will file a pedestrian accident claim with the driver’s auto insurance company.
And these losses are often significant because the injuries suffered by the victims are often significant. Not only is there the impact from the vehicle hitting them, but the force of that impact often throws the victim into the air, causing them to land hard on the pavement. Traumatic brain injuries, internal organ damage, spinal cord injuries, and fractures are some of the more common injuries sustained. Victims face long recovery periods, including surgeries, hospital stays, and residential rehabilitation centers. Many victims are left with long-term health issues or are permanently disabled.
Pedestrian accident victims are left with physical, emotional, and financial losses that can be included in their claims:
- Medical expenses for emergency care, surgeries, diagnostic testing, hospital stays, physical and occupational therapy, medical equipment, medication, and more.
- Loss of income the victim suffered if they were unable to work while they recovered. This also includes loss of future income if they are left with permanent injuries that leave them unable to work.
- Pain and suffering the victim endured
- Mental anguish from the impact the accident has had on the victim’s life
- Permanent disability
- Loss of life enjoyment
Contact Our Personal Injury Law Firm Today
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, do not delay in reaching out to a dedicated Lake Charles pedestrian accident lawyer to find out what legal actions you may be able to take against the driver who hit you. Call Delphin Law Offices PLC to schedule a free and confidential consultation.