Brain Injury Lawyer Lake Charles, LA
If you are suffering from a brain injury, our brain injury lawyer Lake Charles, LA from the Delphin Law Offices can help you with your brain injury claim. We understand that this kind of injury can be debilitating and can result in changing the way you live for the rest of your life. A brain injury, also known as a TBI, is not necessarily something you can identify after you have been in a personal injury accident. You may not realize there is any damage until it is too late. If you do not have a medical professional check you out shortly after the accident, you may be dealing with permanent or life-threatening injuries.
What Kinds of Traumatic Brain Injuries Are There?
Not all TBIs will give you lasting damage. Below, our Lake Charles, Louisiana brain injury lawyer goes over some of the different types of brain injuries you may get and what kinds of symptoms to look out for.
- Mild TBI. If you are suffering from a mild TBI, you may only have a few symptoms that are not as serious. Symptoms can include things like headaches, fatigue, memory loss, loss of consciousness (for less than 30 minutes), and even a loss of smell or sound.
- Moderate TBI. If you are suffering from a moderate TBI, you may have any of the symptoms mentioned above, you may lose consciousness for a longer period of time, and have problems with memory and even your motor skills.
- Severe TBI. If you are suffering from a severe TBI, you may lose consciousness for a long period of time following the accident, up to weeks or months. If you are not responding, you may even end up in a coma. Other symptoms of a severe TBI are confusion, difficulty walking or speaking, and vomiting.
What If I Don’t Notice Any of These Symptoms?
Unfortunately, our attorneys know that TBIs do not always present with such obvious symptoms and you may have a TBI and not know it. This can be incredibly dangerous because you may think you are safe and do not need to go see a doctor after you have been in an accident. Our attorneys always recommend seeking help from a doctor as soon as possible after any type of personal injury accident.
Common Causes For Brain Injuries
There are a variety of accidents that can cause traumatic brain injury. According to the Mayo Clinic, common causes of TBI include:
- Falls. This is one of the leading causes of TBI. Falls account for almost half of all TBI-related emergency room visits that affect children and older adults.
- Motor vehicle collisions. Traffic accidents involving cars, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians are another leading cause of traumatic brain injury.
- Violent acts. Domestic violence, gunshot wounds, and other forms of assault are causes of TBI.
- Sports Injuries. Traumatic brain injury can often occur in high-impact and extreme sports like football, soccer, boxing, hockey, skateboarding, baseball, and lacrosse.
- Combat Injuries. Explosive blasts, penetrating wounds, falls, bodily collisions with objects, and severe blows to the head with shrapnel or debris can cause TBI among active-duty military personnel.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), there are over 1.7 million people who sustain a brain injury every year in the United States, with men being more likely to sustain a brain injury than women. Unfortunately, traumatic brain injury is a major cause of disability and death in the United States and an average of 155 people a day in the U.S. have died from this type of injury in a recent year. The CDC has also reported that approximately 288,000 hospitalizations TBI were diagnosed.
How Can a Brain Injury Be Treated?
When diagnosed with a TBI, depending on your specific condition you will most likely have to see treatment. The sooner that you are receiving treatment increases your chances of improving your condition and having a successful rehabilitation. With that being said, it can be a long process when it comes to treatment, which also means it can get very expensive. Something that you might not have the financial capacity to do. That is why it is important to consult with a brain injury lawyer in Lake Charles, LA, to get a better understanding of your situation and to begin fighting for the compensation that you may be owed. Your lawyer could fight for you to get compensated for what is owed now and for the future. Being compensated would help you be able to pay for the treatment that you deserve without any worry to you about your financial well-being.
Medical expenses can become a real burden if you don’t have enough funds to pay your medical bills.
With over a million people sustaining a brain injury every year, most often, those injuries could have been caused by some type of accident that was out of your control. A TBI is one of the most serious types of injuries an accident victim can endure. TBI victims could experience difficulties in concentration, memory lapses, and unpredictable healing. Not to mention, that a brain injury could introduce many complications into your life including medical and legal. An experienced brain injury lawyer in Lake Charles, LA like one from Delphin Law Offices could help pursue a recovery that could fully compensate you for your losses.
To learn more about what a Lake Charles, Louisiana brain injury lawyer can do for you, call Delphin Law Offices now.